Cleft Lip and Palate Awareness Week 2012 is Coming!
[30 Apr 2012]
Cleft Lip and Palate Awareness Week 2012 will run from 12th-19th May. It's approaching fast, and we need YOU to help us make it the best one yet!
We are looking for anyone who can spare a little time to help us raise awareness of cleft lip and palate, as well as much-needed funds for CLAPA. Awareness Week is a chance for us to spread the word and educate the general public about a condition that still does not get enough publicity. Three babies are born every day with a cleft – with your help we can be there for every one of them and their families.
Our patron Carol Vorderman says: “CLAPA benefits thousands of families affected by cleft lip and palate every year and needs funds in order to survive and continue providing vital services. I would encourage as many people as possible to help out during Awareness Week.”
How You Can Help
Here are some ideas to get you started if you have time to spare…
- Get together with a group of friends and organise a sponsored walk with our help.
- Take part in one of the many runs around the country to raise money and get fit at the same time, or even the London 2 Brighton Challenge.
- Organise a quiz, raffle or party in your local community in honour of awareness week to give you a platform to talk about the condition.
- Contact your local paper to tell them about Awareness Week and suggest they do an article about cleft lip and palate and, if you have one, your connection with it.
- Got your own ideas? Tell us
If you’re short on time…
- Display a poster, leaflets and a collection tin in your workplace or local pub – ask us for more information or download the posters below.
- Ask your workplace if you can promote the week on your staff intranet – if you have a personal story to tell this is even better.
- Take part in our sponsored walk in London – more details to follow.
- If you have children, encourage the school to put on a few fundraising or awareness raising events such as an assembly to educate the other kids about cleft lip and palate.
If you only have a few minutes…
- ‘Like’ us on Facebook! We also have a Facebook Group where you can discuss cleft lip and palate with over 2,000 of our supporters.
- Tweet or post about awareness week – especially if you can include a link to our donation page.
- Email your colleagues about Awareness Aeek and let them know why you support us.
- Donate! CLAPA is a small charity and every penny counts. You can donate online or by post – but make sure you let us know it is for awareness week!
Got your own ideas or want more information?
Get in touch! Ask us for a fundraising pack including posters and leaflets and we will help you every step of the way. Even if you can only commit half an hour one afternoon, you’ll be surprised at what a difference that can make.
The most interesting and successful fundraising projects and events will be featured on our website and in the e-newsletter following Awareness Week – so get creative!
Events planned so far include…
- Sponsored walk in Brighton!
- Awareness events in Manchester and Liverpool Hospitals
- Two supporters running the Glasgow women’s 5K
- Nine supporters running the BUPA Great Manchester Run
- Candle parties, coffee mornings and raffles
- Two sponsored cycling events
- London 2 Brighton Challenge
- Dress-down and mufti days at schools and workplaces
- Awareness-raisers around the country putting up posters, distributing leaflets, giving talks in local schools and putting out collection tins
Help us make this one the most successful Cleft Lip and Palate Awareness Week yet by telling us what YOU would like to do!
If you are able to print the posters yourself, this would help us to cut back on printing costs. You can download our awareness week posters here:
General Poster – This is a general publicity poster advertising Awareness Week. We suggest you put it alongside any event posters you put up.
Event poster – If you are organising your own event or would like to advertise one of our events (such as our sponsored walk) you can fill in the details on this poster.
What is Cleft Lip and Palate? – This poster is text-heavy, but explains a little about cleft lip and palate as well as what CLAPA does as a charity. These work best when placed in a location where people are likely to be able to read them, such as waiting rooms, receptions and libraries. We recommend you place them alongside a general Awareness Week poster (above).
As always, please get in touch for more details.
- South London & Surrey Newsletter
- Cheryl Giles lops off locks for CLAPA!
- Michelle’s walk to the top of Mount Snowdon
- Dulwich Quilters Raffle Raises £1200 for CLAPA
- CLAPA’s Regional Coordinator Project - End of Year 2 Report
- Health Professionals Sought for Survey on Patient Outcomes
- SLUMBRS Study - Advisory Group Members Needed
- Decision-Making in Children and Young People with Lip and Cleft Palate
- ACORN Study Seeks Advisory Group Members